Listed below is the activity that we as Lobbyist are working on for 2011 and where we are. The HIPPA bill will be dropped this week and assigned a number in the Senate. The Distracted bill which I talked about at the Board meeting is still work in progress. I've shown a draft that we've given the Legislative Staff right now to give us opinion on. Once we get that back we'll go to the next steps. Hope you find this helpful.
Update on Bills and Lobbyist Activity for 2011
Here is where we are on bills and some further updates:
· HIPPA: As part of the 1996 the Kennedy-Kassebaum Bill, insurance companies were no longer able to discriminate, denying coverage to persons based on their choice of activities or mode of transportation (i.e. motorcycle). However, for the past 10 years, Congress has been now trying to pass a Bill to 'close the loophole' that insurance companies can use, which is denial of claim settlement, based on the 'Source of Injury' (i.e. motorcycle and other activites). With Congress's failure to do so, many states have been 'closing the HIPPA loophole' at the state level. Senator Nelson has agreed to sponsor our Bill.
· REFERENCE TITLE: insurance; unfair discrimination; motorcycles - (making the following revisions to:)
· 20-448. Unfair discrimination; definitions
· 1 I. A HEALTH CARE INSURER SHALL NOT DENY HEALTH CARE COVERAGE TO ANY
· 2 INDIVIDUAL BASED SOLELY ON THAT INDIVIDUAL'S CASUAL OR NONPROFESSIONAL
· 3 PARTICIPATION IN THE ACTIVITY OF MOTORCYCLING.
· 20-461. Unfair claim settlement practices
· 13 20. DENYING MEDICAL BENEFITS UNDER HEALTH CARE COVERAGE TO ANY COVERED
· 14 INDIVIDUAL BASED SOLELY ON THAT INDIVIDUAL'S CASUAL OR NONPROFESSIONAL
· 15 PARTICIPATION IN THE ACTIVITY OF MOTORCYCLING